My Blog List

The first step in ending domestic violence is understanding our own personal history, taking responsiblity for our part in it, making a conscious decision to create change within ourselves. With knowledge there is healing, compassion and forgiveness, and above all the chance to break the circle of pain, allowing our children the joy and freedom of a violent free life.

Searching for Angela Shelton




Tuesday, August 11, 2009

And in the beginning...









It all starts somewhere, in my case with an adopted mother who was sadly incapable of loving her children. No, "that's a beautiful picture honey." No, running to me when I fell and scraped my knee, just "get up, buck up, don't be a baby only babies cry when they get hurt." A father who left and when he would come around or we had to go see him, acted with completely inappropriate behavior,consequently creating trauma which resulted in a huge portion of my childhood disappearing. Children are suppose to remember their childhoods. A childhood should be filled with love, security, self-esteem and compassion. As parents, we are the ones who are responsible for creating a safe and loving environment for our children. I perpetuated the vicious cycle, with my son, and it was not until I got sober in 1994 that I realized the damage I had already done.


Over the last 15 years I have worked diligently at righting the wrongs of my past. Working and mentoring young women, helping them to set a course, a path of passion in their lives, to help them visualize their full potential, and then to step into action.










We need to teach our daughters and sons about respect, and one of the greatest ways to do that is by our own actions. Do we care for ourselves? Are we kind, loving and compassionate people. Do we stand on our own two feet and work towards creating a wonderful life for our families? If we have a partner to we show each other love and kindness? These are the things that soak into a small child's mind and remain there, really forever.


What I have also found is that wounds can be healed, some take longer then others, but with care and understanding they do heal, leaving our paths open for a new and better life.

Going into Juvenile Halls and speaking with teenagers is one of my favorite things to do, because whether they realize it or not yet, they have been given a reprieve, a chance to make different choices, get a different view of their lives and with the help of caring professional adults, leave there and never , ever go back, or be homeless or be battered or in a circumstance that leads them to prison or death.

Human beings are valuable, we all need to know that, and more importantly truly feel that deep within our hearts. How do we create value, when all we have ever known is the opposite? How do you express to a young woman that she is worth more then she ever dreamed when she has been sexually abused by her father, or boyfriend. She only sees herself as an object that needs to be available and she searches for love from those who are truly incapable of giving it to her. How do you show a young man his value, when all he has known, are the words of his parents reminding him how stupid he is and how he just can't do anything right. Or instead of cruel words, closed fists, swift kicks, hard pinches all a reminder of his insignificance, his total lack of value. We as a society need to nurture those who have never been nurtured. Love those kids until they learn how to love themselves. Be present and accountable for our actions, teach and love by example. You always hear about the kids that are failing, how about the kids that are digging their way back to the top because someone gave them an idea of what they could choose to be.

Everyday I have a conversation with someone somewhere. And everyday these topics come up. and really it all comes back to love and self-esteem and being held accountable.

I have a friend who I personally believe is way wise beyond his years, I wrote him not to long
ago and asked him this question; "If you were in a grocery store, and you saw a women yelling at her six year old, what would you do.? A. say something to her. B. call the authorities or C. walk away. His response was so important and moving to me I am going to give it to you verbatim; "My action when someone is screaming in the grocery store, wasn't on your list of answers. (walk away, say something or call the authorities) to see a child being abused physically would be different, in that case as a stranger inserting myself or calling for help if needed would be something I would do without even thinking. But if the child were being verbally or emotionally abused, I wouldn't do any of the things listed. Instead I would become a witness. I think there is a lot of power in being a witness, and that people, including adults, have an instinct to be accountable when their actions are known and not ignored. I have a lot of passion for the rights of individuals and parents to live their own lives and raise their children as they see fit, but also a lot of passion for the disadvantaged and uneven matches. I don't think even a word would need to be said, just the awareness of the attention being paid, the notice and The Witness."
With that said, it is the end of another amazing day, our speaking engagements for our journey are all falling into place. Itinerary to follow. Thank you all for your love and support, it really makes this all that more incredible!










1 comment:

Quote of the Day

Followers