My Blog List

The first step in ending domestic violence is understanding our own personal history, taking responsiblity for our part in it, making a conscious decision to create change within ourselves. With knowledge there is healing, compassion and forgiveness, and above all the chance to break the circle of pain, allowing our children the joy and freedom of a violent free life.

Searching for Angela Shelton




Thursday, September 24, 2009

Laramie Wyoming September 18th 2009 UofW

CLICK ON ALL THE IMAGES TO ENLARGE

Jenny my wonderful friend from Mount Shasta who had just moved to Wyoming drove for hours , to come and be with us tonight along with her dear friend Heidi.
This young woman came up to me afterwards and talked about an incident where she had beat en during an attempted date-rape. Her strength was unbelievable! I was so thankful to have had the opportunity to hear her story.

















It's Friday night at UofW and a group of kids are setting up a big evening of gaming across the hall. Beth and I begin the process of getting everything ready. Amanda, who coordinates the public activities for the Laramie Safe House, is there as well. She has brought refreshments. Women begin to quietly come in, and there are a few men who are volunteers sit down as well. I am feeling liked warmed over mud, been trying to shake this cold, and realize I need a hec of alot more sleep. A mother with her thirteen old daughter and her partner arrive, several more, then a group of volunteers. I have to pause because it takes me a few moments to scan the audience and think about who is sitting before me and to decide how I should begin the evening. I decide to play the you tube video. I tell my story and I tell Bill's story and I talk about the perfect storm...I realize that on this Friday night, there are roughly 10 young men and women here, who are volunteers, who chose to be here instead of out partying, who have chosen to dedicate their life's at this point and time to helping the men, women and children of Laramie and outlying areas to heal in the midst of horrific violence and confusion. My heart fills with pride for these amazing individuals and more so, my heart fills with hope.
Wyoming ranks third in the nation for women who are murdered by a male that they know. Six of the state’s 16 homicides in 2007 were females killed by males.
CHILDREN WHO WITNESS from www.ncadv.org

Witnessing violence between one’s parents or caretakers is the strongest risk factor of transmitting violent behavior from one generation to the next. Boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to abuse their own partners and children when they become adults. 30% to 60% of perpetrators of intimate partner violence also abuse children in the household.


HOMICIDE AND INJURY

Almost one-third of female homicide victims that are reported in police records are killed by an intimate partner. In 70-80% of intimate partner homicides, no matter which partner was killed, the man physically abused the woman before the murder. Less than one-fifth of victims reporting an injury from intimate partner violence sought medical treatment following the injury. Intimate partner violence results in more than 18.5 million mental health care visits each year

One in every four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime. An estimated 1.3 million women are victims of physical assault by an intimate partner each year. 85% of domestic violence victims are women. Historically, females have been most often victimized by someone they knew. Females who are 20-24 years of age are at the greatest risk of nonfatal intimate partner violence. Most cases of domestic violence are never reported to the police.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Quote of the Day

Followers