My Blog List

The first step in ending domestic violence is understanding our own personal history, taking responsiblity for our part in it, making a conscious decision to create change within ourselves. With knowledge there is healing, compassion and forgiveness, and above all the chance to break the circle of pain, allowing our children the joy and freedom of a violent free life.

Searching for Angela Shelton




Friday, October 9, 2009

October 9th 2009


I dedicate this poem to all the young people in juvenile halls across the Untied States of America ( and yes I did mean untied)

Your Voices, your words...

i stepped off the curb
didn’t see you coming
behind the bars,
trapped
like injured butterflies
in old glass jars
your best moment,
easily equaling my
worst nightmare
how could I have been so blind?
oblivious
to your
beautiful design?

i can hear your voices
ascending,
softly in my ear
way down they say,
way down they say,
way down here...

most days
i couldn't even look,
refused to make or take
the time
but now
a power greater then i,
has finally
freed
my mind,
opened my heart,
jump-started my soul,
for you are my child,
little brother,
sweet sister,
never too old

so decide I have
to climb
down
to a depth
way
way
beyond my own,
to a place
so unacknowledged
so completely
far from home

for it is here
that I offer
my hand
to you
with
compassion
love
and
grace

where we can now
stand
and
heal
together
with
the
truth

face to face

1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate this blog, Lani. Your poem was beautiful. I'm curious to know more about your work. My contact info is located on my blog.

    best,
    a

    ReplyDelete

Quote of the Day

Followers